Tips for Natural Gas and Carbon Monoxide Safety


Natural gas and carbon monoxide can leak into your home and create risks.

Natural Gas is a fossil energy source that many families use to cook their food and heat their home. The gas is odorless, but an additive called mercaptan is mixed into the gas to alert people of a natural gas leak. Mercaptan has a sulfer-like, rotten egg smell that is highly recognizable.

Carbon monoxide is a byproduct that can be created when fuels like gasoline, wood, natural gas, and propane do not burn properly. It is odorless and tasteless making it difficult to detect.

Keep your home and business safe by implementing the following preparedness tips:

  1. Install a CO detector on every level of your home and in rooms where people sleep.
  2. Know the flu-like symptoms of CO poisoning including including exhaustion, headaches, nausea, dizziness, vomiting, or trouble breathing.
  3. Regularly test your CO detectors and replace batteries or devices per the manufacturer instructions.
  4. Keep oven doors closed when baking.
  5. Do not use gas appliances to heat your home including ranges, ovens, or dyers.
  6. Use qualified professionals to install natural gas appliances and ensure equipment is properly vented.
  7. Inspect, clean, and properly vent heating systems.
  8. Always turn off your gas-powered engine in the garage, even if the doors are open.
  9. Only burn charcoal outside.
  10. Know the indicators of a natural gas leak including the rotten egg smell, bubbling water, hissing sounds, dying vegetation, exposed pipelines, and more.

If you suspect that you have a natural gas leak or CO poisoning, immediately go outside and call 911 and your natural gas provider. Do not try to identify the source of the leak. Stay outside until the emergency responders make the area safe.